Statistical analysis system (SAS) is one of the most successful and popular tools used for data analysis and statistical modeling. It is one of the fastest and robust software for advanced analytics, multivariate analyses, business intelligence, data mining, data management, report writing, statistical analysis, applications development, business modeling and data warehousing. SAS is an asset in various job markets as it holds the most significant market share regarding jobs in advanced analytics.
Role of SAS in the healthcare industry:
SAS is extensively used in clinical trial data analysis in the pharmaceutical and clinical research companies. SAS programmers play a vital role in clinical trial data analysis.
- A SAS programmer addresses the technical needs of the healthcare industry.
- Implementation of information technology in the healthcare delivery system helps to gain valuable knowledge from data, and insight to recommend action or guide decision making, and patient care quality improvement and practice of medicine.
- SAS analytic solutions help achieve business goals in healthcare related to revenue generation, cost control, and strategic performance management.
- SAS tools are used to explore clinical outcomes and risk tolerances to improve the overall quality of patient care.
Role of SAS programmer:
Statisticians provide the methods of the data analysis, implement the analysis methods on the collected data and provide the study summary tables, graphs, and data listing to the statisticians and or clinicians to write study report.
- SAS programmers closely work with statisticians and data managers to provide the link between raw data and the analysis.
- In few companies, SAS programmers also create the database. SAS programmers need to write programs to read database data to SAS data sets and also generate a SAS format library.
- SAS programmers will also write SAS programs to clean the database data according to the edit specifications provided by CDMs.
- SAS play a significant role starting from defining the clinical study to till regulatory submission. The clinical study report is compiled using the data generated in the SAS environment.
- SAS also plays a role in protocol development, the randomization process, CRF designing, adverse event reporting etc.
Future scope of SAS:
The clinical SAS programming industry in India has seen rapid germination in the last few decades and the trend seems to continue, for the next couple of years, due to cost advantage and the availability of skilled labor.
Due to the heightened demand for skilled resources, the wants of the programmers have taken a different shift toward diversifying exposure, unsustainable wage inflation due to multiple opportunities and high expectations around career progression.
According to a recent study, SAS analytics skills are the most valuable skills to have in today’s job market. The traditional healthcare paradigm is expanding the range of career choices for SAS programmers. To gauge the current state and future vision of healthcare analytics, SAS is has become a valuable tool.
If you feel resonated and think a career in SAS is worth considering, then drop us a line at…….. or visit www.joshimedicode.com